Very Late New Year’s Resolutions (‘Cause That’s How I Do It)

Peryl is a mom of 2 boys who writes a blog column for the Seattle P.I. called “Parenting Ad Absurdum.”  I met Peryl very early on in my blog career, and am so happy she agreed to write one of her legendary list posts for BBCD.  Also?  How cool would it be to write a blog for your local newspaper???  You can also find her on Twitter at @momadabsurdum

The Parenting ad Absurdum household has some big changes on the horizon.

No, I’m not pregnant – I’ve recently learned that no woman of child-bearing age can say the words “I have news” without someone immediately buying her a stroller. No, our current evolution involves houses and geographical locations. The change is positive, but inevitably stressful, as evidenced by my recent dreams (e.g. I’m about to get married, and the person giving me a pedicure leaves before putting on the top coat, and this causes me INCREDIBLE AGGRAVATION – this despite the fact that I wore closed-toed shoes for my wedding).

When I am under stress, I tend to relieve tension by incessant list writing. Nothing makes me feel better than a brand new notebook to be dedicated to lists.

Scads of lists.

The fact that my follow-through needs a little game doesn’t take away from the satisfaction I get from writing lists. So when Liz (I want to call her Belle, don’t you want to call her Belle??) honored me (immensely) by asking me to guest post in the middle of my list making frenzy, I decided that of course I must write you all a list.

Since a list of what I need to donate to Goodwill or people I need to email may not excite you as much as it does me, I thought I would share with you some terribly late (cause that’s how I roll) New Year’s resolutions for 2011.

1.       Singlehandedly launch a campaign to bring back the sloe gin fizz. Have you had one? You must try it. I guarantee you will want to name your next daughter Juniper.

2.       Sign up for twitter, so I can stop getting emails that say “for the love of god, sign up for twitter already” (I love you, Truthful Mommy). By the way, I did this already. In your face, 2011.

3.       Make more lists of things I’ve already done. It’s awfully satisfying.

4.       Stop developing psychosomatic backaches when anticipating the arrival of family. Also, while I reserve the right to take everything said by relatives the wrong way, I might try to do this just a bit less.

5.       Learn how to operate a #$%*@ zipper. I know. As a reasonably coordinated adult and the designated figurer-outer of the family, this is something I should have mastered by, oh, at least the age of thirty-two or so. Do the rest of you know a secret that I somehow missed out on? Maybe it was the home-schooling.

6.       Watch more of this guy: Never Give Up. I dare you not to feel disgustingly positive afterward.

7.       Get through the hardest level on my Dino hunter game…oh wait, that’s my five year old’s resolution. My three-year old’s is that I buy him the teddy bear I refused to get him the other day in Barnes and Noble. He doesn’t quite get the whole “improving oneself” thing.

Whew. I feel much better. Don’t you just want to run out and buy yourself a fresh notebook?

65 Responses to Very Late New Year’s Resolutions (‘Cause That’s How I Do It)
  1. parenting ad absurdum
    January 24, 2011 | 9:15 pm

Thanks for hosting me, Liz, I’m honored to be here!!

2. Megan (Best of Fates)
    January 24, 2011 | 10:19 pm

I hereby declare my intention to make lists of things I’ve already accomplished.

This is going to get awesome.

• Megan (Best of Fates)
      January 25, 2011 | 9:13 am

p.s. Liz – EVERYBODY wants to call you Belle. It’s a common, overwhelming urge.

• Liz
        January 26, 2011 | 9:21 am

Really? I’m so intrigued by this!

January 25, 2011 | 9:28 am

I know – doesn’t that feel good??

3. Alexandra
    January 24, 2011 | 11:01 pm

I know, I long have thought of Peryl’s name, job, life as dreams. Dreams. Dreams.

Wonderful name, wonderful job, wonderful life.

You are a lucky lady.

January 25, 2011 | 9:29 am

You are too sweet. It’s funny that I spent fifteen years being annoyed at my parents for naming me Peryl – but I’ve made my peace with it, and now I quite like it!

4. Morgan B.
    January 24, 2011 | 11:15 pm

As a fellow list-maker, I really appreciate the above list. Particularly, the bit about making a list of accomplished tasks. That should offset the five or so unfinished lists I have going right now.

January 25, 2011 | 9:31 am

Absolutely – I bet you’ve done at least ten things today already! Write them down and cross them out.

• Liz
      January 26, 2011 | 9:23 am

Lists are so fun, functional AND satisfying!

5. Kelley
    January 25, 2011 | 1:58 am

I am salivating over the thought of a blank notebook. Salivating, I tell you.

January 25, 2011 | 9:53 am

If you’ve got a Half Price Books in your city – run, don’t walk – because they’ve got a pile of great, super cute eco notebooks – I bought ten!

• Liz
      January 26, 2011 | 9:24 am

Ha! It seems like we bloggers love lists and organization.

6. Tatter Scoops
    January 25, 2011 | 5:42 am

Oh wow, love that list of things that you’ve done! :D

7. Dalia
    January 25, 2011 | 6:13 am

Peryl…too funny, you are so right about how everyone immediately thinks a girl is pregnant when they have news :). And so glad you are on Twitter now – now I just have to get back on there more often!

January 25, 2011 | 9:54 am

Hi Dalia! I know – I’m like the only person out there without an i-phone, so twitter takes real committment!

• Liz
      January 26, 2011 | 9:25 am

With Peryl in Twitter and you back at it, there’s LOADS of fun in store!

8. Michelle Saunderson
    January 25, 2011 | 8:07 am

I like lists, though most of my “to do” lists never seem to get completed. By the way, I can’t tie my shoes properly, so that is just as bad as your zipper problem.

9. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Taming Insanity, bellebeandog. bellebeandog said: My Very Late New Year's Resolution ('Cause That's How I Do It!) http://bit.ly/gbow9l Guest Post from @momadabsurdum [...]

10. klz
    January 25, 2011 | 8:05 am

I get the feeling your three year old and I have a lot in common. Take THAT 2011!

11. Lula Lola
    January 25, 2011 | 8:58 am

I’m going to sit down right this second and make a list of things I’ve already accomplished. You’ve inspired me!

January 25, 2011 | 1:31 pm

Oh good! You deserve to take credit for all the things you HAVE accomplished.

12. Bossy Betty
    January 25, 2011 | 9:04 am

I am all over #3! Great idea.

Fun post!

13. Stacey
    January 25, 2011 | 9:23 am

I just like the idea of making lists of things I’ve already done. I think I like that better than my piles of lists of things I still have to do. Although crossing off an item is awfully satisfying! Great list!

• Liz
      January 26, 2011 | 9:26 am

Such an amazing sense of accomplishment, even though it kinda doesn’t count. :)

14. Natalie
    January 25, 2011 | 9:40 am

How do I not know Peryl because I love her already! Off to check out her blog…

January 25, 2011 | 1:43 pm

Aw, thanks, Natalie! I suspect I will check out yours as well, I suspect I will love you too.

15. Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points
    January 25, 2011 | 10:06 am

A list???

I love lists! I love you! WIll you be my new best friend? I wont tell any of my other best friends I promise.

I live for lists! Just ask Liz!

Where are you moving to? Northern California? Could you CHANGE it to Northern California???

….

Good lord, what’s in this coffee?

January 25, 2011 | 1:33 pm

Ha!! I would love to be your secret new best friend and YES I AM MOVING TO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA!!!! Wow, our friendship just moved to a whole new level!

16. Jill
    January 25, 2011 | 10:44 am

I constantly add things I’ve already done to my lists. Crossing it off just feels too good. :)

17. Leigh Ann
    January 25, 2011 | 12:04 pm

Oooh I love lists. And journals. I just can’t fully embrace this technology age with all those pretty notebooks on the shelves..

• Liz
      January 26, 2011 | 9:28 am

Lists on the ‘puter just aren’t the same as on paper. You don’t get the satisfaction of crossing it OFF.

January 25, 2011 | 12:55 pm

Her name is sooooo bada **, I LOVE IT! Also, I think with a name like that, you have to have a good sense of humor which clearly she does. Thanks for introducing me to her–off to check out her blog now!

January 30, 2011 | 10:16 pm

Aw thanks!! It took me about 20 years to get used to my name, but I’m good now ;).

January 25, 2011 | 12:57 pm

Also, from one list-maker to another: Thanks for this. It’s amazing the sense of accomplishment I feel when I cross items off.

20. Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli
    January 25, 2011 | 1:20 pm

I love a new notebook. I’m going to get one now.

21. Khara
    January 25, 2011 | 2:50 pm

LOVE this one “Make more lists of things I’ve already done.” I need to do this too :)

• Liz
      January 26, 2011 | 9:28 am

I think Peryl’s started an epidemic… :)

22. Amanda
    January 25, 2011 | 3:00 pm

Why are zippers SO hard? I mean, I’m an educated adult person with reasonably good hand eye coordination, so why on God’s green earth am I incapable of zipping up a sweatshirt? And baby clothes? FORget it.

23. Anne
    January 25, 2011 | 3:06 pm

Funny list, Peryl! I am also a list maker – although since I’m somewhat disorganized my lists tend to float around the house on scraps of ripped paper. I love the idea of lists of things I’ve already done – what satisfaction to write a list and cross off each item, all at once! (:

January 30, 2011 | 9:29 pm

Oh, in addition to the notebooks, I’ve got lists on scraps of paper all over the house too – receipts, gum wrappers…

24. Mrs.Mayhem
    January 25, 2011 | 4:06 pm

I love lists! There’s no so rewarding as crossing an item off a list (even if it hasn’t quite been accomplished yet. It’s still satisfying!

25. WTH am I Doing
    January 25, 2011 | 3:39 pm

I love lists AND new notebooks! I like to get attractive notebooks…then the lists I make in them will be artsier somehow. Especially if they’re lists of things I’ve already done! I so love that!

Perhaps I will adjust the scale of “to dos” tho. I’ll make the list of to dos for the next hour and the list of dones for the last 6 months or so. That will really make me feel better. :)

January 31, 2011 | 8:57 pm

I also aim for artsy lists – even though I’m the only one who ever reads them!

26. Melissa (Confessions of a Dr.Mom)
    January 25, 2011 | 3:45 pm

Oh, I love Peryl, whom I’ve just recently “met”. Love her style of writing and humor!!

Great list Peryl! I have no idea what sloe gin fizz is but now I feel compelled to google it, thank you very much. And…I’m so happy you’re on twitter, yay!

February 3, 2011 | 7:13 pm

Oh, Melissa, I love you too…though I’m only just get around to responding, the love has been there all along.

27. julie
    January 25, 2011 | 3:48 pm

Oh do I love number 3. I get a lot done during the day, some of which makes it onto my daily list right off the bat (I write one every morning over coffee.)

However, inevitably, I end up doing things that come up WHILE I’m addressing my list. (Like rearranging the patio furniture when all I started out doing was scooping dog poop.)

So of course, before my husband gets home, I write everything down I already accomplished and put lines through it.

Then I leave the list in plain view.

The list looks very impressive. Me? Not so much. I rarely put grooming on my list.

But I try not to let him find that out.

• Liz
      January 26, 2011 | 9:30 am

I have a hard time staying focused with that, too. I still get things accomplished, but I’ve noticed that I do do a lot of starting and stopping of tasks.

February 3, 2011 | 7:13 pm

Ha! What is this “grooming” of which you speak?

28. Glamamom
    January 25, 2011 | 4:32 pm

Not on Twitter?! What the!

February 3, 2011 | 7:18 pm

I know. I’m very ashamed. And I still don’t have an i-phone (or any reasonable facsimile) so I’m still not much of a twitter-er…

29. Nicole
    January 25, 2011 | 4:36 pm

Slow gin fiz! I remember my mom talking about them years ago but have never had one. I love list & a new notebook to make them in makes me happy.

30. The Flying Chalupa
    January 25, 2011 | 5:02 pm

I love that the list begins with an alcoholic beverage – my kind of gal! Loved this.

31. Amber
    January 25, 2011 | 5:59 pm

Twitter does rock! I’ve been enjoying it.

32. Making It Work Mom
    January 25, 2011 | 9:19 pm

While I am not quite the list enthusiast as some of the other readers I do write one every once in a while. And then I lose it so it does me no good. *sigh*
    I am so down with the sloe gin fiz.
    I do know how to operate a zipper, but the zipper on my daughter’s coat keeps on getting stuck and more than once i have contemplated just bringing her into school like that (all nonchalantly like I didn’t know) and let them deal with it when she goes to play outside!

33. Yuliya
    January 25, 2011 | 10:42 pm

Despite the fact that you ARE moving to Northern California and I have to remain in Reno, we can still be friends. Oh you don’t know me? Well I just “met” you too but I’m friendly, promise.

Whenever I start a to do list I always write three things I’ve already accomplished FIRST so that I can cross them off and feel smug.

34. Margaret (Nanny Goats)
    January 26, 2011 | 12:00 am

This list is absofrickin fantastic. Not to mention very funny. Thanks for the intro, Belle!

And now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to hit the liquor cabinet and try my first sloe gin fizz.

35. Ashley
    January 26, 2011 | 1:33 pm

Well you have mastered Twitter so you are kicking ass!

36. Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip
    January 26, 2011 | 11:39 pm

OMG the psychosomatic backaches. Do you have those too? That is hilarious. Mine also come in stomachache and headache variety as well. Depending on which relative is visiting.

Were you really homeschooled, Peryl? Why didn’t I know that? You know I homeschooled Nino last year, right?

Aweomse list as always. You are forever my hero. I adore you. And now I must find out what is sloe gin fizz.
    xoxoxo

37. Mommy Crib Notes
    February 2, 2011 | 8:14 pm

What a fun list, but I have to argue with you on the Gin Fizz because anything with gin in it tastes like BandAids. At the same time, I give you mad props for exposing your sub par zipper skills. I am in your humble company. My husband has had to unzip me out of my freakin’ puffy coat more than once.

38. Mandyland
    February 6, 2011 | 10:59 am

Oh my God, Peryl. You crack me up!

I’m thinking I need to give sloe gin fizzes a try.