What I Lack…

I’m a big believer in the theory that there’s a positive side to the negative traits someone may have.  And vice versa.

For example, I’ve written before that I’m a horrible liar.  Even though there are situations where it is best for everybody involved if I were to simply lie, I have a very hard time bringing myself to do so.  I like to think of this as a “positive” because this way, you always know where you stand with me.  I’m not fake.  I don’t blow smoke.  And I’m not at all a person you need to fear as having ulterior motives to her actions and words.

See?  There’s even an upside to being brutally honest.

{Ahem…}

I made a list of some other things that I lack, and the ways in which I make up for them.

————————————————————

What I lack in fabulous homemade recipes for comfort foods like mashed potatoes and macaroni & cheese, I make up for with killer homemade salsa, marinara sauce and ordering food “to go.”

What I lack in intestinal fortitude during pregnancy, I make up for with crazy-fast weight loss after delivery.

What I lack in novels read, I make up for with hours watched of HGTV.

What I lack in personal vanity, I make up for with speed in my morning “get ready” routine.

What I lack in cravings for chocolate, I make up for with cravings for french fries.

What I lack in schmooze ability, I make up for with hard work.

What I lack in “living it up during my 20’s”, I will make up for starting at age 48, when Maddie leaves for college.

In what ways are you lacking?  And how do you make up for that?

Prompt 3.) What I lack . . .
(inspired by Angie from The Jammie Girl)

Mama’s Losin’ It

89 Responses to What I Lack…
  1. andygirl
    April 15, 2011 | 12:17 am

toooootally stealing this! brilliant!

2. Melissa
    April 15, 2011 | 12:34 am

<3 this!

3. Practical Parenting
    April 15, 2011 | 12:37 am

What I lack in sleep I make up for in running on pure adrenaline.

Great post! I’ve never made salsa, but I do make killer mashed potatoes and Mac and cheese…if we lived closer we could trade off to fulfill all cravings!

April 16, 2011 | 12:59 pm

We’d make a great pair, then!

Seriously, I feel like such a slacker to not have made these “homemade” before!

4. Jane Bitch
    April 15, 2011 | 12:47 am

What I lack in substance, I make up for in style.

Love this post!

5. Barbara
    April 15, 2011 | 1:56 am

This was great!

6. Jessica
    April 15, 2011 | 2:00 am

Homemade salsa always makes up for comfort food in my house.

7. CK
    April 15, 2011 | 2:18 am

I have never met you in person but for some reason I just KNEW you make a mean salsa! How is that?
    And that last one made me fall of my chair laughing. I can so relate with you on that one. I actually apologized to my husband when I stopped nursing my last baby… sorry but they’re never coming back… its pathetic.

April 16, 2011 | 1:30 pm

HAHAHAHA! A good friend of mine had a less-than-stellar reaction from her husband after she finished nursing her first son!

8. JDaniel4's Mom
    April 15, 2011 | 5:50 am

I am lacking the desire to totally capture all the dust bunnies that are multiplying in my house.

April 16, 2011 | 1:34 pm

It’s really something when we see them but we just don’t care enough to really do anything about them. :)

9. Elena
    April 15, 2011 | 6:11 am

I love the last one! And I totally want your fast weight loss tips. ;) I have you covered on the homemade mac & cheese – I’ll post a recipe for it soon. Super easy & delish! Hope the marinara went well last night.

10. Michelle Saunderson
    April 15, 2011 | 6:13 am

What I lack in housework, I make up in creativity!

April 16, 2011 | 1:35 pm

THAT is perfect. I think all moms should follow that line of thinking.

11. Motpg
    April 15, 2011 | 7:07 am

Sounds like you have it covered pretty well! I’m on the same schedule for “living it up during my 20′s”, I have two more years till party time!

April 16, 2011 | 1:35 pm

Dude, if you have just 2 years left, then you are officially on the countDOWN.

12. Kmama
    April 15, 2011 | 7:23 am

I love this. I think you and I are a lot alike. I totally agree with you on the chocolate/french fry issue. Mmm. Carbs.

April 16, 2011 | 1:36 pm

Carbs AND salt. What could be better?

13. Amy
    April 15, 2011 | 7:47 am

What I lack in terms of a career I make up for with the illusion of a blogging grandeur!

April 16, 2011 | 1:36 pm

Don’t sell yourself short – we bloggers are the real deal!

14. Natalie
    April 15, 2011 | 7:55 am

Love your list. And I would love your homemade salsa. I can never get mine right so I always buy it.

15. Kimberly
    April 15, 2011 | 8:01 am

Well, I’m not going to tackle what I lack because…well…ahem…my brain is stuck in negativity but I love this and I should do more of what I can make up for ;)
    What I lack in personal hygiene as of late…I make up for in killer homebaked cookies. Boom.

April 16, 2011 | 1:38 pm

Homemade cookies = Double boom in my book. :)

16. Kir
    April 15, 2011 | 8:20 am

oh what you did with that prompt was amazing….
    you really are incredible, even with all you lack (plus I’m willing to give you some of my boobs…I really want to give them away at this point)

What I lack in patience, I make up for in my ability to bark orders and cry at the same time.
    What I lack in sleep, I make up for in “writing” in my head at 3am in the morning. :)

TGIF

April 16, 2011 | 1:38 pm

I love that some of you awesome bloggy friends are willing to pony up some boobage for me. You girls are THE best!

17. Her from @6degreeslove
    April 15, 2011 | 8:23 am

What I lack in patience and soft sweet nature with my children, I make up for in tickle wars, pillow fights, laughter and fun.

I may have to steal this blog topic. :)

April 16, 2011 | 1:39 pm

Go for it! it was a fun list to put together.

18. Julia
    April 15, 2011 | 8:44 am

What I lack in bravery, I am hoping to make up by facing my fears.

April 16, 2011 | 1:39 pm

You’re a strong woman, Julia. You can conquer them. :)

19. KLZ
    April 15, 2011 | 9:22 am

Read a book already young lady!

What I lack in shyness, I make up for with bossyness. As seen above.

April 16, 2011 | 1:40 pm

I was hoping you’d maybe have a “what i lack in pants-wearing” line.

20. alicia
    April 15, 2011 | 9:25 am

That last one cracks me up. And fries? I’m so there. Wishing I had the quick post pg weightloss. What I lack in the mornings I make up for into the wee hours of the night.

April 16, 2011 | 1:44 pm

I would have rather held on to the last 10 lbs of baby weight and not have been miserable the whole 9 months.

21. Stacey
    April 15, 2011 | 9:47 am

Love your list!!

22. Bossy Betty
    April 15, 2011 | 9:53 am

Great idea! What I lack in personality, I make up with cookie-making skills.

23. By Word of Mouth Musings
    April 15, 2011 | 9:56 am

Now, I crave chocolate and french fries … I am doomed!

April 16, 2011 | 1:44 pm

That’s rough. See, I’m a salt girl. I’ll take it over sugar any day.

24. Angie
    April 15, 2011 | 10:17 am

What I lack in patience I….
    I’m still trying to figure this one out.

April 16, 2011 | 1:45 pm

You’ve found the right blog friends then, cuz KLZ and me aren’t exactly patient either.

25. Amanda
    April 15, 2011 | 10:17 am

I’m also incapable of Schmoozing, but I feel like that makes people trust me more.

I lack in a lot of things. What I lack in knowledge of real current events I make up for in knowledge of celebrity gossip? That’s just one. :)

April 16, 2011 | 1:53 pm

I know – right? People should WANT people like us around them, shouldn’t they?

26. Mrs. Jen B
    April 15, 2011 | 10:19 am

LOVE the last one. You’re just more aerodynamic!

April 16, 2011 | 1:54 pm

So, Craig with his shaven legs and me with no boobs…we’re the perfectly aerodynamic pair then!

27. Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points
    April 15, 2011 | 10:27 am

Oh, darlin…

What you lack in boobs you make up for in that raw sensuality you ooze.

Just ask Sir Manscape. I know he agrees.

April 16, 2011 | 1:59 pm

I ooze raw sensuality? Are you sure you haven’t confused me with my #MugBrawl partner?

28. Teresa Kander
    April 15, 2011 | 11:56 am

Love the way you balanced it all out…great post!

April 16, 2011 | 2:00 pm

Life is all about balance, isn’t it? :)

29. Jessica
    April 15, 2011 | 12:31 pm

I love this! But now I can’t think of one. I’m coming back to re-comment when I do.

30. Katie
    April 15, 2011 | 12:32 pm

hmmm…so you have the brutally honest bug too? me too. it gets me in trouble, but I cannot tell a lie.

sigh..

what i lack in patience, I make up for in understanding and faithfulness.

April 16, 2011 | 2:01 pm

I know! Why don’t people understand that WE aren’t the ones to be feared? Sure, we’ll say what’s on our mind. But shouldn’t you be more worried about someone who never says anything to the contrary?

31. Hutch
    April 15, 2011 | 12:52 pm

Smaller boobs look better in swimsuits. Mine aren’t ginormous but I’d go a cup size down to not have them be so in your face in a bikini.

April 16, 2011 | 2:02 pm

I think before “earning” my mama pouch, I would tend to agree. But without a flat stomach anymore, the boobs are just plain ol’ too small.

32. LauraK
    April 15, 2011 | 2:09 pm

Oh by goddess, it’s true! We ARE soul sisters. I lacking in every single one of those areas. Except that I’m an excellent liar and my culinary claim to fame is ‘world famous’ quesadillas. Over time, I have learned to use the former only in dire circumstances and for the greater good. Post the salsa recipe…unless it’s super top secret.

33. Leigh Ann
    April 15, 2011 | 2:16 pm

I love posts like this because they help you learn more about yourself. I not only am a terrible liar, but I just hate doing it. Too many bases to cover when you lie.

What I lack in peace and ease of doing things with 3 small kids I make up for in extreme multitasking and successful juggling. And LOTS of hugs and kisses.

34. heidi @ wonder woman wannabe
    April 15, 2011 | 2:20 pm

very fun! i have many of the same as you…

i can add:

what i lack in crafting with my kids, I make up for in uber exciting dance party/tickle monster sessions!

what I lack in general housekeeping, I make up for in clever organizational solutions and systems (seems contradictory, but I assure you, it’s true!)

what I lack in income, I make up for in my frugal treasure hunting abilities.

…maybe this is why i prefer thrift store shopping vs. mall?? who knows – i’ve never really enjoyed shopping at the mall – but set me loose in a consignment/thrift store, i’m gonna uncover something fabulous at a fraction of the cost – fo sho! ;)

cheers!
    ~h

April 16, 2011 | 2:19 pm

There are few things better in life that a dance party with your kids!

35. Shell
    April 15, 2011 | 4:02 pm

I’ll finish that one for you… what I lack in boobs, I make up for with a FABULOUS VS bra.

April 16, 2011 | 2:36 pm

You know, you were the only one to offer a solution to this problem? :) Though a few were offering up some of their cleavage, which is a very kind gesture.

36. Making It Work Mom
    April 15, 2011 | 4:25 pm

I too was not gifted in the boobage department, but I do have quite a badonadonk.

How about what I lack in time managment I make up for with the ability to operate on very few hours sleep!

37. Natalie
    April 15, 2011 | 5:00 pm

Sigh. I just realized after reading this that I will be 55 before the twins leave for college. That seems like a loooonnnggg ways away…

38. Melissa (Confessions of a Dr.Mom)
    April 15, 2011 | 5:38 pm

These are great Liz and I’m with you on the last one!

I lack in keeping a clean house, but I do always try to make our bed.

39. Cate
    April 15, 2011 | 6:11 pm

I’ll be over as soon as I can figure out what kind of beer would go best with your salsa…
    What I lack in keeping a tidy home I make up for in children that I have taught how to belch words.

April 16, 2011 | 2:35 pm

My salsa doesn’t discriminate – bring whatever you like!

40. Karen @ Time Crafted
    April 15, 2011 | 8:01 pm

Fantastic!! I can most definitely relate to a handful o’ those!

And what I lack for in sleep,
    I fully plan on making up now that we are FINALLY on Spring Break!!! (And I’ve turned off the ugly, obnoxiously early alarm clock until a week from Tuesday….woooohooooo!!! :>)

41. Yuliya
    April 15, 2011 | 8:32 pm

We don’t have time for my novel on the things I lack…brevity apparently being high on the list.

But small boobs are a BLESSING! You can wear whatever you want whereas I always look like I’m ready to nurse a dozen babies or so, upon my knee (which is where the boobs now reach)…so jealous.

April 16, 2011 | 2:34 pm

That happened with a girlfriend of mine. They were huge to begin with and after a few kids, they were down to her belly button.

42. Jack @ TheJackB
    April 15, 2011 | 8:53 pm

In what ways are you lacking? And how do you make up for that?

I don’t lack in any areas. Just ask my mother. ;)

April 15, 2011 | 9:09 pm

…who you still live with? :)

• Jack @ TheJackB
        April 15, 2011 | 9:11 pm

What can I say, I am a nice Jewish boy who is good to his mother. ;)

43. Kate
    April 15, 2011 | 10:58 pm

I think one of my favorite comments ever on my blog was from you about chest size! lol It had something to do with you spitting coffee out because you read something I wrote about how I was ready to be a C cup again & not a GG while breastfeeding….seriously….one of my favorite comments ever!

I like this post…I’m with you on the whole living it up when the kids go to college! That’s our plan too!

April 16, 2011 | 2:33 pm

God only knows what I may have written! Glad it stuck with you, though. ;-)

44. Sherri
    April 15, 2011 | 11:28 pm

OK, sis you know where I’m heading with this one:

‘What I lack in boobs, I make up for with…oh hell, there’s no way to make up for that.”

I concur. But I try to make up for it with way too much hair on top of my head, which distracts people from my obvious lack o’ boobs.

April 16, 2011 | 2:33 pm

I like where you are going with that. I just don’t look good with long hair, though.

45. Anne
    April 16, 2011 | 12:16 am

Ha! Great interpretation of the what I lack prompt. Although I have a hard time believing you lack in the schmooze dept! I crave fries AND chocolate. I reversed it – I lived it up in my 20s and when Caroline goes to college in 10 years I’ll be a dottery old woman ready to hang out on my front porch in TN where we will have moved by then, after moving 3 places in between now and then.

April 16, 2011 | 2:32 pm

Oooh, where in TN? The mountains?

46. Alexandra
    April 16, 2011 | 1:21 am

THIS?

*What I lack in schmooze ability, I make up for with hard work.*

I LOVE.

47. Miel Abeille
    April 16, 2011 | 3:37 am

Love your approach to this prompt! Brilliant!!

48. Clare
    April 16, 2011 | 6:16 am

Great post! I started having my babies at 25, and the hubs and I didn’t get to travel the world like many of our friends. However, we will be living it UP in our 50s, when the babies are grown and gone!

April 16, 2011 | 2:26 pm

Yep! When they babies are grown! We’ll have a lot more expendable income when we are 50 vs. 23, too.

49. julie
    April 16, 2011 | 11:45 am

What I lack in boobs I make up for with extra crow’s feet.

Which basically sucks.

(But it also means I smile a lot. So there’s that.)

April 16, 2011 | 2:27 pm

See? you totally have figured out how there is a good for a bad. wrinkles = lots of happy times!

50. Glamamom
    April 17, 2011 | 9:27 pm

You’re so cute! I would hardly consider you “lacking” in any way! No one’s perfect! Except me.

April 18, 2011 | 10:42 am

LOL, you cracked me up with your boob line :p

I feel as though our lists would be very similar (though I crave chocolates as well as french fries. Great. Now I want FF and it’s not even noon.)

Oh, also what I lack in sleep I make up for in caffeine intake.

52. Lady Jennie
    April 18, 2011 | 11:39 am

That last one is so funny, you had me rolling.

I can’t lie either. At all. But I wouldn’t want to. I, unfortunately, love chocolate AND french fries.

And I’m so jealous you’re going to be living it up at 48. I’ll be (cough) 56 when my youngest goes to college.

53. Booyah's Momma
    April 18, 2011 | 2:32 pm

You had me laughing out loud at the last one! Although, I would have changed that to read: “What I lack in boobs, I make up for with a drawer full of really great Miracle Bras… that are worth every penny.”

54. Sarah
    April 19, 2011 | 9:51 pm

Hysterical! Especially because you are basically describing ME, except for the first & third things, which I also lack, but don’t make up for really!

55. Mommy Knows Best | Mommy is in timeout!
    April 22, 2011 | 7:54 am