Why Home Depot Needs a Baby Registry

As I was replacing the batteries in Kate’s AFV-famed Kidizoom camera, I realized that the tiny phillips-head screwdriver in my grip had a long history of loosening and tightening screws in the battery covers of my kids’ toys and baby gear. From the infant swing and bouncer, clear up to the sizzling stove and beeping microwave of the play kitchen, that little tool has proven to be one of the “baby must haves” of my motherhood career.

Standing at the counter recharging 4 AA’s, I started to think some more about my most used, can’t-survive-without-it Mommy Must Haves and realized that many of my favorites weren’t items included on my baby registry.

Nor were they even items purchased at baby-specific stores.

Take, for instance, our air purifiers. We have one in each girls’ room and use them as white noise machines.

Quality sleep is worth $40 per machine (and a trip to Home Depot) in my book.

Another example: our step stools They are essential for independent hand washing and potty use, as well as “helping” mom to cook in the kitchen.

But we didn’t look for them at Babies R Us.

It drives me crazy when there are discarded socks and last night’s PJs strewn across the floor of my house, so purchasing a tall kitchen garbage can to place in the laundry room as a make-shift hamper solved that problem.

As the girls have grown, I realized I needed a place to store the dozens of dress-up items with which they play. A trip to Lowes produced removable adhesive wall hooks that created a space for our little princesses to hang their Belle, Cinderella and Aurora gowns.

But what about *the* absolute Must Have for a baby? Did I buy the creme de la creme of mommy necessities at a baby store?

Of course not.

Everyone knows Best Buy is the place to go for a wide selection of portable DVD players.

Did you have anything out of the ordinary on your baby registry? What have been some of the baby must have items you’ve purchased to make life as a parent easier?

62 Responses to Why Home Depot Needs a Baby Registry
  1. Jessica
    June 13, 2011 | 12:07 am

IF (and that is a huge if) I ever have another kid I am registering at Apple for an iPhone and an iPad for the new baby.

2. Alison@Mama Wants This
    June 13, 2011 | 12:21 am

For us, it was a humidifier. It was a godsend when the Monkey had the cold (several times already) – it helped keep his nose from getting blocked which meant he could sleep easy.

3. Natalie
    June 13, 2011 | 12:27 am

Amen girl!! There are lots of things that I couldn’t possibly pick up at Babies R Us that I definitely would’ve liked to get. I think you should lead a campaign to make this happen ;)

4. Kimberly
    June 13, 2011 | 12:36 am

We have window a/c units in the kids rooms. We use them all year round (in the winter it’s on fan mode). It provides white noise for them which they can’t sleep without.

Oh and our DVD player in the car. Thank God for Best Buy on that one!!

5. JDaniel4's Mom
    June 13, 2011 | 5:05 am

We got a swing when JDaniel was a few months old. I wish we had gipotten one earlier. He would have loved it.

6. Julia
    June 13, 2011 | 5:27 am

This is a fabulous idea — and a great business idea! Is there a one-place goto registry on the web for kids/babies. I could see it working as a centralized thing and/or per store….

7. Jessica
    June 13, 2011 | 6:13 am

Totally agree with your suggestions, couldn’t do without the white noise in their rooms and I have wicker baskets on every floor for the extra laundry too. I also did bins for each of their shoes and let them pick their color so they can throw them in there and it doesn’t take us 3 hours to find everyone’s shoes in the bottom of the coat closet.

You are on to something here!

8. Elena
    June 13, 2011 | 6:43 am

I really do like Jessica’s thinking of registering at Apple. But, I agree – registering at a Home Depot would be awesome. I’d register for a brand new washing machine, because we all know we’re going to use that constantly. But I don’t believe anyone would’ve purchased it.

9. Natalie
    June 13, 2011 | 7:08 am

Ha ha you are so right…batteries and a screwdriver are must haves b/c everything has batteries! I had no idea how many our swing would go through! I would say I would need to register for a washing machine as well for all my cloth diapers…or an awesome food processor for the baby food I make…or hey maybe a new fridge to store it all in. A girl can dream….

10. kim/reluctant renovator
    June 13, 2011 | 7:10 am

I got stuck on the image of you recharging batteries. I was just at an event for a Craftsman tools and they have an interchangeable battery pack for many of their handheld power tools. That would be a cool concept for a line of kids’ toys. No more fumbling around for various batteries, just one that can be used universally.

11. Irina
    June 13, 2011 | 7:13 am

I registered on Amazon for that exact reason. Babies R Us just did not have the selection needed. We actually got the humidifier for the shower! It was definitely g-dsent!

12. Kmama
    June 13, 2011 | 7:21 am

Excellent idea!! There are so many things we get from Home Depot!

13. Jen
    June 13, 2011 | 7:51 am

You are totally onto something here. Home Depot totally needs a baby registry.

14. Klz
    June 13, 2011 | 7:53 am

I buy these gifts for my hubby. As you can guess, he loves fixing things. Once he discovered he doesnt need to hire a handyman to change batteries he was in heaven

15. Evonne
    June 13, 2011 | 7:56 am

Home Depot should totally have a registry!

When people ask what my kids need for Christmas or birthdays, one of the first things out of my mouth is usually batteries.

16. Barbara
    June 13, 2011 | 7:58 am

The amount of batteries we go through is insane! I would also register for a ton of the rubbermaid organizational items…to keep toys and clothes and everything else that is constantly thrown in my house!

17. Stefanie
    June 13, 2011 | 8:13 am

Too funny! I think a screwdriver and a stockpile of batteries is a must have!!!

18. Kristin @ What She Said
    June 13, 2011 | 8:37 am

I put a Homedics sound machine on my Target baby registry. I wanted white noise for the baby but couldn’t stand the babyish looks of all the “baby” sound machine. I just wanted something small and unobtrusive for the cribside table in her room. My non-maternal, never-had-kids cousin gave it to me – apparently she was as genuinely turned off by all the overly baby-looking baby items as I was. And you know what? It still sits on her cribside table and does its job beautifully every night.

19. Kate, aka guavalicious
    June 13, 2011 | 8:46 am

Totally! Some of these items are at BabiesRUs but they are three times the price since they are “for babies”. Now I loved my Target registry for the girls since I returned a few things and bought post babies clothes for myself. ;)

20. Angie
    June 13, 2011 | 9:16 am

Knowing what I know now, I would have registered for hundreds of batteries. When Jack was a baby, his swing was one of his favorite places. (ie, the only place he wouldn’t scream his head off) We went thru batteries like water.

21. Bossy Betty
    June 13, 2011 | 9:44 am

So agree that HD needs a baby registry! I like the Apple Store idea too!

22. Jamee @ A New Kind of Normal
    June 13, 2011 | 9:55 am

Our portable DVD player is the best money we’ve spent hands-down! I need to pick up an air purifier too!

23. Rachel {at} Mommy Needs a Vacation
    June 13, 2011 | 10:06 am

This is great! We totally stocked up on batteries at Costco when we had kids.

One thing I got at Bed, Bath & Beyond- the white noise, rain maker. Both of my kids still sleep with those in their rooms!

24. The Flying Chalupa
    June 13, 2011 | 10:07 am

Changing all those batteries has got to be one of my biggest headaches. Which is probably why so many things are without noise – I simply refuse to change them! But the air purifier. Man, I need to get one of those.

25. Leigh Ann
    June 13, 2011 | 10:08 am

This is all so true. Plastic shoe bins, hooks, a backpack in lieu of a fancy diaper bag, and don’t forget the plastic cup from the local BBQ place for rinsing hair in the bath (I had to laugh when my sister had some fancy pitcher contraption with a rubber side the protect the face from water…seriously?)…And since we just got back from a trip to Dallas, I am definitely putting our portable DVD player on my list for my belated Attitude of Gratitude post.

26. Katie
    June 13, 2011 | 10:25 am

this post is so dang true! the tubs for clothes and toys. the totes for toys. the laundry baskets. the beach towel that protects my dining room chair under his booster seat. tivo.

• liz
      June 13, 2011 | 12:26 pm

OMG – Tivo?! That’s sheer brilliance right there!

27. Allie
    June 13, 2011 | 10:27 am

A Home Depot or Lowe’s baby registry would have rocked considering we completely redid the guest room to convert it into a nursery.

28. Melissa {adventuroo}
    June 13, 2011 | 10:49 am

You are SO right. Costco too. I think battery companies and toy companies are conspiring against us.

29. tracy
    June 13, 2011 | 11:19 am

Oh I love this post. I didn’t have a baby shower or a registry. WTF? I want a do-over!

• liz
      June 13, 2011 | 12:51 pm

So…have Baby #4???

30. twinisms
    June 13, 2011 | 11:23 am

A mental health provider. For me. I’m not kidding :)

31. Hutch
    June 13, 2011 | 11:55 am

I’m that annoying friend that doesn’t stick to registries anyway. I either go with what they need or what will produce the most laughs or awwwwwwww’s. Usually the latter.

32. Shell
    June 13, 2011 | 12:37 pm

I have said that I will buy a shop vac for all new moms as their shower gift. They will look at it like I’m crazy at first, but they’ll understand soon enough.

• liz
      June 13, 2011 | 12:50 pm

Oooh, the crackers crumbs jammed in every crevice of the kiddie car seats and actual seats of the car!

June 13, 2011 | 1:00 pm

Soooooo, what you’re saying is… I should get gift cards to Home Depot for all the mommies-to-be?? I can see these being incredibly helpful items!

34. Kimberly
    June 13, 2011 | 2:05 pm

For us it was those industrial strength floor mats. They saved our hardwood floors from repeated bangs from toys!!!

35. Kir
    June 13, 2011 | 2:35 pm

that is sooooo true, the stuff that you use after all the cutsie stuff is the stuff from HD!!!!

it’s a perfectly practical place to shop for a new baby!! :)

36. Jennifer Hall
    June 13, 2011 | 2:45 pm

My husband works for Home Depot and makes it a point to come home every so often with a mega pack of AA batteries. Parents can’t live without batteries!

37. Cori
    June 13, 2011 | 2:58 pm

I think “C” batteries are a must for any parent – why is it only kids toys & baby equiptment that runs on “C” batteries??

38. MommaKiss
    June 13, 2011 | 3:30 pm

AMEN to the white noise machines – and those little screwdrivers are priceless. I can’t remember what we had on the registry that was like “SO NEEDED” but I can tell ya that the diaper genie? Waste of space. Someone got me a wipes warmer, not from the registry, and I returned it.

39. Poppy
    June 13, 2011 | 5:02 pm

I insisted I didn’t need a second baby shower because I already had everything I needed and I was having another girl. My friends pressured me into registering anyway. I only had two items on my registry, condoms and coffee.

40. Glamamom
    June 13, 2011 | 5:52 pm

So true! I never thought of it like that although I liked the idea of registering at Amazon.com bc there’s a wider array of options for those non-baby specific items. We certainly do go through a lot of batteries. Love Poppy’s comment above about coffee and condoms LOL!

41. Sherri
    June 13, 2011 | 6:11 pm

Awesome ideas! I love the tall kitchen trash can idea…and yes, there are so many “must-haves” that you just would never think about at a baby shower.

42. Amy
    June 13, 2011 | 6:12 pm

So very true. A ginormous stock of batteries is probably the best gift for a new parent!

43. Colleen
    June 13, 2011 | 6:48 pm

You are so right! I have never thought about that before, but completely agree.

44. A Mommy in the City
    June 13, 2011 | 6:58 pm

The air purifier was key for us too! We had to buy that after Harlan was born and never thought to include it on our registry.

45. C.Mom
    June 13, 2011 | 9:45 pm

So I am wondering…would it be bad to start a registry at Total Wine and Trader Joes when expecting? :) or the local ABC store? Just saying…once one is done breast feeding, there are things that make life easier. Like dark chocolate and a glass of wine :)

46. Lula Lola
    June 13, 2011 | 10:01 pm

A vacuum cleaner. The white noise helped put the kids to sleep and also cleaned up behind them. Now, I’ve got a Roomba and leave it running all the time. With three boys, it’s one of the best “baby” purchases I’ve ever made.

47. Tiffany
    June 13, 2011 | 10:23 pm

We go to home depot way more since our kids were born, way more than we ever go to Babys R Us, etc… I’d say Home Depot & Costco are about tied.
    It started with paint for the nursery, a closet organiser, the noise machine, new blinds… then it was a bigger clothes hamper (and an even bigger one when the 2nd baby came), and more laundry baskets, and then a new washer & dryer to go with those new baskets. And a new dishwasher. And a new coffee maker (Can NOT do with that). More paint to cover patches. Grass seed and more kid friendly, low matienence plants for the back yard. It goes on and on…

48. Anne
    June 13, 2011 | 10:49 pm

When my girls were babies and toddlers it was a rechargeable battery pack (yes, purchased at Home Depot!). The youngest lived in her bouncy chair as a newborn and god forbid it should stop vibrating!

49. blueviolet
    June 14, 2011 | 7:38 am

It’s true! All the typical baby shower stuff doesn’t turn out to be nearly as important as other things!

50. CK
    June 14, 2011 | 8:13 am

Haha, I will totally keep this in mind as I shop for the double baby shower I’m helping with this month!

51. Kristi {at} Live and Love Out Loud
    June 14, 2011 | 10:15 am

My baby must-have item came with a prescription and was picked up from a medical supply store. My children’s nebulizer is a life-saver. Literally.
    Thanks for being so sweet and not giving up on me, though I’ve been a horrible commenting buddy. I’ve been keeping up via my email subscription, but haven’t been great about commenting at all! :(
    Hope you’re doing well, Liz.

52. Yuliya
    June 14, 2011 | 11:57 am

I had cloth diapers on my registry and no one would buy them for me! I guess they didn’t want me to think of them when I dealt with poop!

53. Lady Jennie
    June 14, 2011 | 2:31 pm

Really? We’re on the fence about that portable dvd player but it really does sound like it might be worth it.

54. Adrienzgirl
    June 14, 2011 | 2:50 pm

Yeah, I’d say all of our “must have” items came from some place other than a baby store!

55. Carri
    June 14, 2011 | 8:46 pm

Earplugs. Nope, not kidding. When Blake was teenie tiny and sleeping in our room, earplugs kept me sane. The middle of the night crying became a reasonable 500db, as opposed to 958db.

56. Making It Work Mom
    June 14, 2011 | 8:49 pm

hmmm Well when my oldest was little it was our CD player – she loved to carry it around and play her music or tape stories. Now for my youngest it is the Ipod – she adores that thing! I guess Best Buy is our store- that makes my husband happy.

57. Ashley
    June 14, 2011 | 10:17 pm

Ha this is so true! I feel like diapers.com is starting to catch on to this idea. I think you can get almost anything from them delivered the next day. :)

58. Grumpy Grateful Mom
    June 15, 2011 | 10:42 am

I loved my bumbo chair. My little dudes chubby legs could barely fit into it, but he loved to sit in it.

59. Suniverse
    June 15, 2011 | 2:07 pm

I think you should do a PSA for baby registries. Those are genius.