Our Road Trip from MEM to ATL

Last week was our spring break here in Memphis, TN. Now that the girls are older and both have more patience for car rides as well as more interest in seeing and learning new things, we decided to take a road trip.

To Atlanta!

It was 6.5 hours from door-to-door, and that included 3 stops. We stayed in a hotel that bordered Centennial Olympic Park, The World of Coca-Cola and the Georgia Aquarium. On the drive home, we stopped in Birmingham, Alabama, to check out the McWane Science Museum, too.

All in all, the trip was a great time, and the girls can’t wait for our next adventure.

* * * * * * * *

mississippi

After Tennessee, came Mississippi

alabama

And then Alabama

…on our way to Georgia. Our first day in Atlanta we saw…

CNN-Atlanta

The CNN Center

Centennial-Olympic-Park-Atlanta

Centennial Olympic Park

olympic-rings-atlanta

Olympic Rings

olympic-torch-atlanta

Olympic Torch

After Centennial Park…

atlanta-carriage-ride

We took a carriage ride through downtown Atlanta

philips-arena-atlanta

And saw some sights

downtown-atlanta

…like these…

pouty-child

…while Maddie pretended she wasn’t enjoying herself

The next day we took in both the Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coca-Cola.

whale-shark-georgia-aquarium

Whale shark

sawfish-georgia-aquarium

Sawfish

manta-ray-georgia-aquarium

Manta Ray

There was also a pretty amazing dolphin show, but no photos or videos were allowed.

That afternoon, we headed to Coke. I was impressed with how family-friendly it was and how much they built out the brand experience. Probably the coolest part was the 3-D video experience because along with the video, your chair moved and rumbled, air and water were squirt in your face and I even felt like someone jabbed me in the shoulder with their finger at one point.

Coca-Cola-Memorabilia

The World of Coca-Cola

Coca-Cola-machines

Old Coca-Cola Machines

And now for the Birmingham portion of our trip. If you aren’t from the South or don’t currently live in the South, you are probably thinking, “Alabama?!?” But I give tons of props and two thumbs up to the #ALLCAPSAWESOME McWane Science Center and it’s four floors of kiddie science stuff.

bed-of-nails

Craig on a bed of nails

perception-room

Wait, which kid is the bigger one?!

dromaeosaurus

Dromaeosaurus

sea-turtle-fossil

Notice Craig on the left, to give this some scale

kate-announcing-weather-forecast

Kate discussing weather conditions in California

Maddie-forecasting-weather-patterns

Maddie *becoming* weather patterns because her shirt matched the green screen.

We also played with bubbles, pet some sharks and got to see an octopus and moray eel while there.

Next stop? Chicago in the summer. I cannot wait!

What vacations have you enjoyed as a family?

* * * * * * * *
This post is part of #iPPP (iPhone Photo Phun), where we link up photos taken from our smart phones. Any smart phone.

iPhone Photo Phun

26 Responses to Our Road Trip from MEM to ATL
  1. JDaniel4's Mom
    March 21, 2012 | 6:51 am

What a wonderful trip! JDaniel would have love all these stops!

2. Kmama
    March 21, 2012 | 7:04 am

How fun! It looks like the girls enjoyed themselves, except for the pic where Maddie was pretending that she didn’t. ;-)

3. Alison@Mama Wants This
    March 21, 2012 | 7:21 am

Road trip! So fun. Can’t wait for when my kids are older so we can do the same thing.

4. JamieAnne
    March 21, 2012 | 7:24 am

What a fun trip!!! We were on spring break too, but we stayed home.

5. Klz
    March 21, 2012 | 7:44 am

That picture of maddie makes me laugh so much. I totally want to go to Birmingham now

6. Greta
    March 21, 2012 | 8:11 am

You guys take the BEST vacations! That looks like a blast. I LOVE the matching pink coats. :) And you will have a blast in Chicago, too!!

7. Mrs. Weber
    March 21, 2012 | 8:43 am

That seriously looks like the perfect road trip to me! I can’t wait until my kids are old enough to do these kinds of things.

I bet the girls loved the carriage ride and science museum – I know I would have!

8. Kristin
    March 21, 2012 | 9:15 am

I’d forgotten about the Olympics in Atlanta. Ken is desperate to go to the aquarium. Desperate!

9. Coffee Lovin' Mom
    March 21, 2012 | 9:22 am

Looks like a bunch of fun! When you come to Chicago, make sure and hit the Children’s Museum at Navy Pier…there are SO many things to do there, the girls would love it! Plus you can stay out of the pier crowd being at the museum..

10. Kir
    March 21, 2012 | 9:44 am

what a fantastic road trip that was and I loved the Coca Cola and the Aquarium…I like Aquariums and the girls look like they had a Ball.

our trips just recently got more FUN because the boys are old enough to know we are on a vacation. Cape May, NJ is a special place for our family both before and after children. I can’t wait for summer and our days in Cape May.

11. Stasha
    March 21, 2012 | 9:48 am

What fun. Girls have the biggest smiles!

12. Eve
    March 21, 2012 | 10:57 am

I love a good road trip. It definitely looks like you had a lot of fun!

13. Elaine
    March 21, 2012 | 12:57 pm

We may have to hit up Birmingham at some point. It’s actually quite beautiful there. I went to a friend’s wedding there years ago. Looks like you all had a great trip! These kinds of trips make for SUCH great family memories! :)

14. Katie E
    March 21, 2012 | 2:01 pm

Looks like an awesome trip – makes me want to take my kids to Atlanta. One trip we really enjoyed was to Philadelphia – there’s so much to do, and it just seems so educational.

15. Natalie @MamaTrack
    March 21, 2012 | 2:20 pm

Looks like fun! I’d love to see the aquarium.

16. julie gardner
    March 21, 2012 | 4:21 pm

DANG I need a vacation with my family. Or just a day-trip somewhere.

We need to get out. of. this. house.
    (You know it’s bad when a bed of nails looks appealing!)

Thanks for sharing the fun. I’m only a little bit jealous you got to take a carriage ride.
    XO

17. Jana (@jana0926)
    March 21, 2012 | 5:15 pm

I think it’s awesome you were just in ATL and I’m about to be in Memphis! So funny! Great trip!

18. Jamie
    March 21, 2012 | 6:14 pm

Glad you had fun in Atlanta. And that Birmingham museum looked awesome. That’s one thing I love to do with my children. Explore and learn with them. That never gets old.

19. Kimberly
    March 21, 2012 | 6:46 pm

That looks like it was super fun.
    We do the camping thing. Yea, we’re true Canadian like that. Every single summer.

20. Jen
    March 21, 2012 | 7:37 pm

How fun! What an awesome trip.

We are taking our kids to Chicago in a couple weeks. I can’t wait.

21. Leighann
    March 21, 2012 | 7:54 pm

I wish we had an aquarium close. The last place you visited looks like it was great!! So many fun things for the girls (and Craig)

22. Jackie
    March 22, 2012 | 5:13 am

I love Atlanta! There is so much to see and do there for everyone. I’d love to go back and check out some of the more historical spots… because I’m a geek like that.

23. BBeingCool
    March 23, 2012 | 4:57 am

What an AWESOME holiday!! Looks so fun!!

Enjoy the time with your peeps. Thanks for sharing the photos, terribly cool.

March 27, 2012 | 4:59 pm

Aww sounds like you all had a great time :) Family vacations are the best!

25. Stephanie
    March 31, 2012 | 2:59 pm

That just looks like a ton of fun. And so many great memories to take home :)

The only trip I really remember from my childhood is a two week camping trip to Banff. We took our cat along. How many people can say that?!?

26. BalancingMama (Julie)
    April 2, 2012 | 11:29 am

Finally catching up on blogs and getting back into the real life routine… so glad you had fun here! You chose a perfect place to stay – right in all the family-friendly action!