My {Handmade} Crush

One of my most favorite pieces of social media, search and the web is how it can dramatically level the playing field among businesses. Now average consumers can much more easily find, interact with and shop from businesses both large AND small, opening the commerce door for the “mom & pop” shops out there.

Allyson from Daisy & Elm is one such small business. She makes incredibly fashionable, incredibly affordable jewelry pieces, and has some of the most amazing customer service and attention to detail I’ve ever seen. The two pieces below I ordered for myself, and she asked me every question she could (and that never crossed my mind) about the length, bead type, number of beads, how I wanted my 3 chain necklace to come together as one – EVERYTHING.

This is the Sweet Leaf necklace.

daisy-elm-leaf-beads-necklace

This is the Vintage Hot Mess.

daisy-and-elm-fancy-necklace

And then Kristin surprised me by covertly ordering this custom piece just for me, inspired by the infamous BOSS video.

daisy-and-elm-custom-necklace-charm

A custom piece from Daisy and Elm is also one of the prizes in the 2012 I Was a Senior Hottie: Then & Now linkup!

This write-up is completely of my own doing because I just love everything about Allyson’s spirit, creativity and commitment to customer service.

Are you a fan of handmade?

* * * * * * * *
This post is part of #iPPP (iPhone Photo Phun), where we link up photos taken from our smart phones. Any smart phone.

iPhone Photo Phun

20 Responses to My {Handmade} Crush
  1. BalancingMama (Julie)
    May 2, 2012 | 6:45 am

Ooh, pretty! I love the first one sooo much. Fabulous.

2. Alison@Mama Wants This
    May 2, 2012 | 6:50 am

Handmade is my favorite! I used to make jewelry, so I know how special a handmade piece is – it’s always crafted with love! Beautiful pieces there.

3. JDaniel4's Mom
    May 2, 2012 | 6:52 am

These are beautiful! I love them all!

4. KLZ
    May 2, 2012 | 7:53 am

Gimme that sweetleaf necklace!

5. Amanda Austin
    May 2, 2012 | 8:05 am

You know how I feel about allyson — I love her — and her stuff is honestly second to none. I have a friend who sells jewelry and sometimes I feel bad and buy some from her, and I SWEAR that Ally’s stuff is better quality than this stuff! And her prices are amazing. She’s seriously the best. So glad she’s part of this linkup.

6. Poppy
    May 2, 2012 | 8:31 am

I just started wearing jewelry within the last year. I always felt a necklace looked I was trying too hard and stuck to my simple diamond studs. If I felt wild I would I would switch it up with pearls! Yawn. I love these, so cute.

7. Katie E
    May 2, 2012 | 8:42 am

Those necklaces are beautiful! I’m wondering if one would be perfect for my daughter’s upcoming elementary school graduation. Off to look at their site…

8. JamieAnne
    May 2, 2012 | 8:55 am

Those are beautiful, I totally understand the crush.

9. Bossy Betty
    May 2, 2012 | 9:29 am

What a wonderful way to support artists and also have some beautiful jewelry!

10. Julie
    May 2, 2012 | 10:12 am

I’m a big fan of handmade jewelry, for so many reasons. Although, I buy it and adore it…and it sits in the box. Sigh.

11. Julie
    May 2, 2012 | 10:12 am

12. Jeanette
    May 2, 2012 | 11:07 am

Yes, yes I am a fan of handmade. I love that sweet leaf necklace – to die for!

13. Katie
    May 2, 2012 | 11:41 am

oh how I love handmade! It is one of my favorite parts of this online world…it is also a huge part of what I spend my allowance on!

14. Allyson
    May 2, 2012 | 3:32 pm

I promise I didn’t just pop over to read gushing comments about my creations…but it sure is nice! :) Thank you so much for writing this, Liz! I have been doing the same for the artists that I buy from on Etsy and I feel like not only is it appreciated beyond measure, but it also guides people in the right direction when they’re shopping. Walmart is out and shop around the corner is in and I hope it forever stays that way. When we publicize our positive experiences with local shops and handmade artists, it helps the artists get more business and it helps others know who to trust and what kind of quality to expect.

I REALLY appreciate you mentioning my attention to detail (VIRGOS UNITE!) and strong focus on customer service. I have been all over Europe and am always happy to return to America where customer service is king (or queen, in this case). I feel like it separates an everyday trip to the grocery store from a unique buying experience and I feel like helping to create your own custom jewelry and the receiving it in the mail SHOULD be an experience. So, thank you for noticing and THANK YOU for sharing! And I’m THRILLED to be part of the Senior Hottie link-up!

15. MommaKiss
    May 2, 2012 | 4:07 pm

I am a total fan of home made, and love that personal customer service.

16. Kallay
    May 2, 2012 | 8:30 pm

I’m a huge D&E fan. Being one of my very close friends, I may be biased, but she’s also a FANTASTIC writer. You definitely chose the right business to highlight! She’s wonderful. :)

17. Kate
    May 2, 2012 | 9:39 pm

Hey Liz! Those pieces look amazing!

I wanted to stop by because I haven’t been here in a while & I was wondering how you’ve been! The site looks amazing!

18. Greta
    May 2, 2012 | 10:06 pm

Those are gorgeous. And how sweet of Kristin! I bet that was a very pleasant surprise.

19. Jayme
    May 3, 2012 | 9:14 pm

Love, Love, Love all of Allyson’s jewelry. I think I need to make a list of her jewelry for Dave for Mother’s Day!

20. Galit Breen
    May 4, 2012 | 6:57 am

Love this, girl!

The pieces are stunning and yes – women supporting women making a business of their passions? Is pure fabulous!