I don’t know what it was about her, but Craig and I knew from very early on that Maddie was the child we’d need to keep our eye on. Call it parental intuition, I suppose, but we were certain our little diva was going to grow up to be our Handful Child.
Now approaching the 4 year mark, Maddie’s newest trait is being sneaky.
Craig admits that he was a sneaky kid, so at least we know where she gets it. But that doesn’t mean it’s any easier to cope with on a daily basis.
Just in the past week, I’ve caught Maddie:
- Hiding beside our bed with a Chapstick tube opened, twisted all the way up, and broken in half.
- Forcing her hand against the bathroom faucet, causing water to spray everywhere.
- Trying to sneak out of her bedroom during nap time.
- With an open bottle of burgundy nail polish, having painted her fingers, toes and my bathroom wall.
- Dunking her stuffed animals in her water cup.
- Sitting on the edge of the tub, repeatedly flushing the toilet.
With Kiddo #1 being such a rule follower, I realize that I’m more lax than I should be with Maddie. Kate never got into anything nor quietly snuck off to attempt some sort of messy, dastardly deed. But Maddie has proven she requires her own set of instructions. Namely a set that includes motion sensors, drawer and cabinet locks and bars over her windows (for the teen years).
Is one of your kids sneaky? What are some of the messes you’ve had to clean up?