Why “Cute” is a Four Letter Word

Kate-is-short-and-cuteShe’s my “small but mighty”.

She’s also my sensitive one.

She has personality quirks that drive me BONKERS right now, but that I am certain will serve her well throughout life.

She’s passionate, determined, and always comfortable telling you exactly what she’s thinking.

Basically, she’s me.

But one big way that we are very different is her smaller-than-normal stature.

It’s been over 2 years since Kate fell off the growth chart entirely. As in, she’s below the 0 percentile for height compared to girls her age.

Unfortunately, this is wearing on her.

She came home from school the other day and told me she does NOT like being called “cute”. It’s OK (as of right now) if adults call her “cute”, but “cute” means “little”, and she does NOT like when other kids call her that.

I feel for her, I really do. There’s nothing she nor any of us can do about this. All on her own, she has decided to tell other kids talking about her height that God made her this way, and I frequently overhear her telling Maddie the list of reasons why it’s good to be short. (Like I said, she’s nothing if not passionate, determined and comfortable telling you exactly what’s on her mind.)

My hope is that once she’s older and dating, and realizes that every guy is taller than she is, she’ll change her mind about being so short, and truly see the upsides in it.

And then relish in the fact she can always wear heels.

Much unlike her mama.

12 Responses to Why “Cute” is a Four Letter Word
  1. Elaine
    January 24, 2013 | 9:04 am

Aw, sweet girl. My oldest has always been way down on the charts too and he’s one of the 2 shortest kids in his class. It doesn’t seem to really bother him yet, although he has mentioned something about it a couple of times. I just think he will get “teased” at some point. Geez, why does it have to matter?

She’s precious, love her hair cut!

• liz
      January 27, 2013 | 10:51 am

I do think it’s harder for boys. When I was pregnant with Maddie and thinking she was a boy (we didn’t find out ahead of time), I worried about her height because she has a very late birthday. I knew ahead of time that she was going to be young for her class, and figured it would be harder if she was a boy.

But then not only was she a girl, her personality is such that she really doesn’t give a crap about what other people think! Ha!

2. julie gardner
    January 24, 2013 | 10:39 am

Oh, Liz, I feel you on this one.

Karly was four and a half pounds at her full-term birth. She was always in the “below 0″ percent.

I remember thinking, “What the HELL does that mean?” There is no one shorter than she is? Less than NO ONE?”

Now she’s 13 and a half and still under five feet tall. (She’s a beautiful, well-proportioned 4’11″.)

At her age, I was already 5’5″ and grew only one more inch total, to my eventual 5’6″. So I think Karly may have peaked, for the most part.

Small but mighty, indeed.

Beautiful. Smart. The way God made them. Those are our girls. And they’ve got a lot of their mamas in them.

So in the end, they’ll be just fine.
    (But they’ll probably never love being called cute.)

• liz
      January 27, 2013 | 11:29 am

Wow, 4.5 lbs? And I thought I had small babies!

Craig’s mom and sister are both sub-5 feet. So I can totally see that becoming my girls’ destinies, too.

3. Jackie
    January 24, 2013 | 10:52 am

She is cute! And her height has absolutely nothing to do with it at all.

I was always the tall one and it seemed that everyone was shorter than me. That made dating and wearing heels challenging for sure!

There are positives and negatives whether you’re short or tall.

• liz
      January 27, 2013 | 11:29 am

She’s totally cute! Hopefully she comes to a point where she embraces that word. :-)

4. Roxanne
    January 24, 2013 | 11:31 am

My son was a preemie, so he’s still short for his age (6). He had a problem with it when a friend that is 6 months younger than him was a head taller. I’m glad that Kate is emphasizing the good in her stature, and that you have encouraged her in such a way that she knows that everyone is made different, and there should be no negative associated with that.

• liz
      January 27, 2013 | 11:30 am

You are right – there shouldn’t! I do think it’s harder for boys, though. I feel for your son!

5. KLZ
    January 24, 2013 | 11:45 am

I can totally understand why it bothers her with kids. It would drive me crazy too.

6. mrs.d
    January 24, 2013 | 12:35 pm

I hated being ‘short’ when I was younger (I peaked at 5’1″ in Grade 10), but when I got older I learned to enjoy it – and like you said – she’ll always be able to wear heels – and maybe not ignore the sweet amazing guy who is only 5’6″ because she’s taller than him.. But, at this age – yea, it’s annoying.

• liz
      January 27, 2013 | 11:32 am

Exactly! Her boy options are endless!

Craig’s sister and mom are both sub-5 feet tall, so I can see Kate ending up at that same height.

February 14, 2013 | 11:52 am

Awwww, such a cutie!

You know, I was always on the shorter side in class and I used to hate it. Now I kind of like being a bit shorter (unless I’m at a concert and can’t see a damn thing!) But there are times when being shorter is awesome, like being able to weasel your way through crowds!